A crispy, deep fried tomato presented in a fragrant aromatic agedashi sauce.
1 tomato, medium size (approx. 70g)
2 asparagus tips
1 tbsp potato starch
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dashi stock
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. Make a shallow “X” cut on the top of the tomato.
2. Boil water in a pan and dip the tomato in for 20 seconds, then put the tomato in cold water.
3. Peel the tomato skin completely and remove excess water with kitchen paper.
4. Heat the vegetable oil to 170⁰C for deep fry.
5. Cover the tomato completely with potato starch.
6. Deep fry the tomato until crispy on the skin – 30 seconds max. Then deep fry the asparagus without potato starch.
7. Place the agedashi sauce ingredients in a saucepan and mix while heating.
8. Plate the tomato and asparagus in a shallow bowl, and add the agedashi sauce to serve.
Sozai Cooking School is the first cooking school in the UK dedicated to authentic Japanese food. This specialist organisation offers a wide variety of classes and events from well-known dishes like sushi and ramen to traditional cuisine and street food. Please visit their website for more information about classes and events www.sozai.co.uk
Photography and video production courtesy of Jen Rich and Tinderflint.
Earthy and creamy with a soft nutty taste, this sesame dressing will enhance the natural flavours of any salad.
Marinated in a delicious Saikyo miso sauce, this delicate and flavoursome cod fillet will simply melt in the mouth.