Udon noodles are a staple in Japan and commonly served in a broth or soup. Here we share the basics for mastering a flavourful vegetarian udon broth that can be topped with a variety of fillings. Tailor to your own tastes or follow our full recipe here.
1. Leave kombu and dried shiitake mushroom in water to soak overnight in the fridge.
2. Cook (1) over low heat for 20-30 minutes. Remove the scam if it appears on the surface.
3. Strain the dashi through a fine-mesh sieve to a saucepan.
1. Add 350ml dashi stock, 30g soy sauce, 35g Honteri and salt in a saucepan and heat over a medium heat. Turn off the heat before reaching the boiling point.
1. In a noodle bowl, add freshly cooked udon noodles followed by the soup. Place extra toppings, such as vegetable tempura, on top of the noodle as desired, and sprinkle with finely chopped spring onions to serve. For an added kick, add some Shichimi Togarashi chili powder.
Get creative in the kitchen with one of our inspiring recipes, from Japanese classics to European fusion.